Friday, February 4, 2011

Review: Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 5

It's my destiny to have you stare me down 24/7? No, thanks.

Continuing from last week's drama surrounding Madoka, we find ourselves in the cycle of grief.  That, and Sayaka's apparently made her wish already, judging by her Big Damn Heroes moment in last week's episode. In fact, that's my chief issue with the show right now.  It's showing us events and not explaining them well enough.

Wishes and more after the break!



 Funny thing is, the first scene in this week's episode is Sayaka making her wish, something that should have been done near the end of last week's episode.  Afterwards, Sayaka talks to Madoka about why she decided to become a Puella Magi.  Apparently, Sayaka regrets not being able to fight alongside Mami.  Sayaka's wish? For Kyosuke, her violinist friend, to fully recover.

Yup. This was Sayaka's wish.


The drama in this episode was toned down noticeablely compared to last week, a much-appreciated change.  The exposition from Sayaka wasn't lengthy or boring, and the animation quality and writing were top-notch yet again.  Kyubey, with his unending stare, actually blinked in this episode, which threw me for a loop.  The developing plot with the snaggle-toothed Puella Magi is very interesting.

One thing that's beginning to irritate me is that Madoka, whose name is in the title, isn't really doing anything.  I certainly hope the writers do something with her soon.  After all, the show isn't called Puella Magi Sayaka Magica. Other than that, I really had no complaints about this episode.

Overall, I can safely say that the writing staff for this show are top-notch.  I may not like drama, but I was able to feel with the characters, a telltale sign of superb writing.  The animation quality fluctuates, but is pretty consistent.  We're really starting to see some plot advancement, and that's always welcome in my book.  It's almost enough to forgive the show for screwing with my emotions in a way that only GAINAX is allowed to.  I think I could adjust to the drama, so I'll keep watching.


Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 5

Plot Advancement: 4.5/5
Characters: 5/5
Drama: 4/5
Episode Plot: 5/5
Animation Quality: 3.5/5

Overall: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment