Monday, June 13, 2011

Yuri's Summer 2011 Season Preview

Well, spring almost over, and we all know what comes after spring: summer.  And, as many fans became well-aware last year, summer is often just a buffer season for fall, which is why I'm not getting my hopes up.  That said, there are a few interesting things on the chart for the summer days.  Let's see what will entertain me when I'm NOT at the baseball stadium, shall we?


Ah, hell. Might as well get the terribad show out of the way first.  Manyuu Hikenchou.  The concept: a ninja clan can help people grow big boobs, which equate to power.  I'm hoping this will be so bad it's good, like Kampfer was.  But odds are, it'll be Highschool of the Dead bad.  Ah, well. Not everything can be Squid Girl, after all.  Hell, if I can watch Nic Cage's version of The Wicker Man and not suffer a stroke, I can watch this.  Not reviewing it, though.


Next up is Mayo Chiki, a show about a boy? who works as a butler... until it's revealed that "he" is actually a girl.  Yet another "trap/reverse-trap" show.  Yeah, it's of the reverse variety, but that doesn't stop it from being completely unoriginal on paper.  Potential upside is merely that it's not a standard Hideyoshi trap and that the writer was the writer for Tokyo Mew Mew.  Otherwise, a rather bland show.  Watching, no review.


Third on my list is Ro-Kyu-Bu!.  The coach of a high school basketball team falls in love with an 11-year-old girl.  Now, there's the first and biggest potential issue of this show.  The lolicon aspect of this show may be a major turn-off for fans, depending on how it is handled.  Second, it's yet another show about a club in danger of being dismissed. Think with me for a sec.  K-ON! had the Light Music Club in danger of being dismissed.  Haruhi had the Literature Club in peril of dismissal.  This is so far from an original idea.  The only unique part is the basketball club aspect.



Next, we have GAINAX's newest creation, Dandelion no Shoka.  Since this IS the same studio that gave us Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, and Panty & Stocking, I'll let myanimelist.net explain:

Hugh Anthony Disward inherits an old mansion and a personal library from his grandfather. In the basement of the mansion, he meets a mysterious girl Dalian. She is a Dantalian and a gateway to "Dantalian's bookshelf", which stores the prohibited books of the demons.

"Gensho (Illusory Books)", the prohibited books, endanger the balance of the world but people are fascinated by the taboo. Huey and Dalian solve the cases involving Gensho with their ability to access the Dantalian's bookshelf.

Yeah.  GAINAX is filled with geniuses, so I have hope that this will be the summer's diamond in the rough.  The concept, while a bit confusing, shows some promise, and that's better than a lot of things on the chart.  I'll watch this, and probably give it some reviews, too.


The kiddy show I'm watching this season is Nyanpire.  The premise is simple: a cat is infused with a vampire's blood, and now has vampiric qualities.  Nothing too confusing.  It'll definitely be a mellow-down show.  Oh, and did I mention that GONZO is doing this one?  Watching, no reviews.


I just watched this, as of this writing, and I really should have finished the TV series first, but I was immediately drawn in by the Kore wa Zombie desu ka? OVA episode.  I guess I'll write a mini-review for it here.  Let me say this first: this had absolutely no relation to the main plot of the TV series.  Good thing, too.  Not sure how you relate a summer festival to where I left off in the TV series.  The characters where noticeably pervier, and that irked me a bit.  Bright side: great animation.  Downside: derailed characters, and predictable writing.  Watched, reviewed.


Overall, summer doesn't look promising.  But what should I expect, after what last summer spit out?  I guess, if nothing else, I'll have Steins;Gate.  Because hearing Mayushii go "Tuturuu~!" never gets old.  Ah, well.  Look towards fall, pretty much.  I hear there's a new Shana anime...

No comments:

Post a Comment