Sunday, June 22, 2014

Manga Review: Tokyo Mew Mew Omnibus 2

My favorite thing about this is that it has my favorite Mew Mew on the cover.


Oh look, another review. Oh look, more Tokyo Mew Mew. This time, I'll be reviewing the second omnibus volume, which covers volumes 3 and 4. So, without further ado, here's my review of the second Tokyo Mew Mew Omnibus.  Read up on the first omnibus volume here.


Spoilers past here! Review also past here!




The second omnibus, as previously mentioned, covers volumes 3 and 4 of the original series. In terms of the story, this covers the resolution of the Inohara Park through the first appearance of the mysterious Blue Knight. The search for the Mew Aqua also begins in this omnibus.  This volume also contains one of my personal favorite parts of Tokyo Mew Mew: Neko-Ichigo. While they sort of handwave the transformation as "Ichigo getting too excited", the ensuing events amused me quite greatly and provided some good relief from a solid story, and also fleshes out Ichigo's character a bit.


One greatly appreciated bit on Kodansha's part is keeping Tokyo Black Cat Girl, the side work that was included in Tokyopop's release of volume 4. I didn't read through it, but I did note that it was retained. I suppose this would be considered bonus content, since it's not Tokyo Mew Mew.


Overall, Tokyo Mew Mew Omnibus 2 retains the quality that was present in the first Omnibus, with a very solid translation, far better than Tokyopop's translation, aside from Mew Ichigo's catchphrase, "Chikyu no mirai ni, go hoshi suru nya~!", a phrase which I prefer Tokyopop's translation of "For the future of the earth, at your service!", as opposed to Kodansha's "Justice will be fully served for the future of the earth, meow!".  Honestly, if that's my biggest complaint, we're in pretty good shape.



Scores:
Writing: 4.5/5
Art: 3.5/5
Translation: 5/5
Bonus Content: 4/5

Overall: 4.25/5
Very Good, would recommend to friends.


There's one more omnibus volume left for this series, and then I'll be done with reviewing Tokyo Mew Mew. Dunno if I'll be reviewing A La Mode, mainly because I'm not sure I want to put myself through that again. Aside from that, expect Azumanga Daioh reviews, a Dirty Pair review, and a new installment of Breaking It Down featuring the Lovely Angels themselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment