Friday, October 8, 2010

New York Anime Fest 2010

October in New York. Two things come to mind: postseason baseball, and New York Anime Fest. Both are very important to me, but since this is an anime blog, I'll discuss the latter. Among the announcement at NYAF this year were: Durarara! release dates (Aniplex).

Aniplex announced release dates for Durarara!, as well as part of the cast. The series will be released in 3 parts, with the first part coming out January 25, the second on March 29, and the third in May. Each part will come with feelies in the form of collectible postcards. I like to every 2 months release schedule. It's timely, and I hope Aniplex sticks to it.

Bandai had a couple things to announce: Gundam , and more K-ON! cast members. Bandai will release Gundam 00 The Movie: Awakening of the Trailblazer, as well as the first Mobile Suit Gundam TV series. I'm not a Gundam fan myself, but I'm sure longtime Gundam fans are going to be overjoyed by this.
Bandai released information about K-ON!, too. 2 cast members, Cassandra Lee (Ritsu) and Shelby Lindley (Mugi), as well as DVD/Blu-Ray details. 4 parts, each retailing at $29.98 for each DVD, with both standard and limited editions (with feelies, I hope) planned. I'm not sure if doing limited editions for K-ON! is such a good idea, giving the lackluster sales that the Lucky Star LEs produced.

The anime streaming site Crunchyroll added several titles, including Lucky Star, Cosplay Complex, and Tantei Opera Milky Holmes, a series about a small 4-man detective agency that busts criminals misusing superpower-granting toys. Crunchyroll also stated that 3 Gundam series will be re-added to the site. Adding Lucky Star and Cosplay Complex will be good news to anyone who wanted to see these series, but can't afford DVDs.

Manga publisher Yen Press announced a digital storefront for the iPad. I know that digital books are trendy and all, but at least make it a multi-platform e-bookstore. Till the iPad e-books are up, Yen will release the final, posthumous volume of With The Light, whose author passed away recently.

Thanks to Janaiblog and ANN, for updating me. Since I don't really have time to go to conventions, Janai and his cohorts are a helpful bunch. Check out his coverage of NYAF here: http://www.janaiblog.com/2010/10/10/new-york-anime-festival-announcement-roundup/

As always, I encourage you to let me know what you liked about NYAF. Leave a comment, and don't forget to vote in the poll!

No comments:

Post a Comment