Monday, November 8, 2010

Review: Dirty Pair: Affair of Nolandia


As a followup to my previous Dirty Pair review, I present Dirty Pair: Affair of Nolandia. This particular OVA covers the Lovely Angels' first mission. They are instructed to find a murderer while searching for a missing girl, aptly named Missinie. While better than the previous OVA, it still left much to be desired.



One of the first things I noticed was that the mood was not quite as dark as Flight 005 Conspiracy was, but it was still rather serious. Yuri was noticeably more serious, almost out of character, but she also had a more action-centric role than usual. As always, the original seiyuu reprised their roles for these OVAs, which is much-appreciated, I'm sure, by many fans.

I felt that the seriousness of the OVA distracted me from the plot a bit. Dirty Pair shouldn't be this serious, although it was quite a bit more lighthearted than the previous OVA. However, the plot was neither rushed, nor dragged along, with convincing plot twists to keep me interested. Additionally, the plot was very hard to read.

The visuals were pleasing, living up to the crisp animation quality of the series. This OVA was a bit more fearless about pushing the limits of the characters' bodies, going so far as to, at least to me, imply that Kei dreamed about getting tentacle raped, a scene I found rather disturbing. However, one scene rarely hurts the image of an entire feature.



Overall, the feature was definitely better than Flight 005 Conspiracy, addressing most everything I mentioned in my review of that OVA. The way Yuri was portrayed (very serious, and a bit of an action girl) made me wonder what happened after that mission that made her so girly. Crisp animation, deep dialogue, and Mughi actually being useful (sort of) made for a good watch. I would recommend this OVA to even casual Dirty Pair fans. I give this one a 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment