Friday, December 10, 2010

Review: MM! 10


MM! never ceases to amaze me, with its continued creativity regarding the Second Volunteering Club's “activities”. As far as the plot was concerned, this week was... different. Would I see more character development, or would I see a return to the silly masochistic comedy? I kind of liked last week's episode...

After last week's character development episode involving Mio, I was left curious as to which way the writers would take the momentum. Unfortunately, disappointment would reign as I was subjected to an rather out-of-character Yuuno trying to be more sadistic than Mio, with little connection to last week's character development.

The episode opens with a stammering Yuuno making Tarou act like a dog, which I've already seen a million times in this season. Seeing Yuuno trying to be a sadist looked odd, felt odd, and struck me as an idea that was originally chopped, but salvaged for filler. All through the 25 minutes, many of the jokes fell flat, which raises concerns for the next two episodes. The two amusing parts were Yuuno's random mountain training, and the “Extreme S Competition”. We later discover that Yuuno's desire to be a sadist stemmed from jealousy during the last minute of last week.

Unfortunately, there weren't as many good points this week, if any. The comedy fell flat, the overall mood of the show felt harsher than usual. Even with the creativity put into the episode, the quality is starting to decline at a time when the quality should be improving. The supporting cast seemed thrown into the dialogue, and I didn't connect with the characters as much as I usually do. If any of the MM! Writers are reading this, I know you can do better than this.


Plot Advancement: 2/5
Comedy: 1/5
Characters: 2.5/5
Episode Plot: 1.5/5

Overall: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment