Friday, December 31, 2010

Top 5 anime of 2010

Honestly, there were several excellent anime this year, which makes it kinda hard to pick just 5. But somehow, I was able to. On that note, here are my top 5 anime series of 2010:



5. Strike Witches 2.
I rather enjoyed the first season of Strike Witches. It was for that reason that I watched the second season, which, naturally, wasn't as good as the first one. But, on its own, it was very good, provided you've seen the first season. Otherwise, you'll be left wondering what the hell the characters are talking about.




4. K-ON!!
Like Strike Witches, I got a kick out of K-ON!. And like Strike Witches 2, K-ON!! was not quite as good as its predecessor. A decent show on its own, but hurt by dragging on too long. Despite not finishing it, I still enjoyed the first 14 episodes or so of K-ON!!, earning it the #4 spot on my countdown.






3. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Yeah, yeah. Technically, it's from 2009. But I'm sure most of us haven't seen it till recently, so I'm putting it in with 2010 anime. This movie really showed what Kyoto Animation is capable of when they put in the effort. The soundtrack is beautiful, as is the animation. However, I'm going to put my fanboyism aside for the time being, and give Disappearance the #3 spot on the countdown.





2. Invasion! Squid Girl

Remember when slice-of-life anime wasn't all cake and tea? Yeah, it's been a while since that kind of show came around, and frankly, I had missed it. Then a girl with blue tentacles for hair came ashore. In hindsight, I'd never become so attached to a show, to the point where playing the OP on my iPod depressed me. This show and the #1 show of 2010 are probably interchangeable, though.






1. Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

Easily the biggest surprise of fall 2010 season alone, never mind the whole year. An over-the-top parody of Western cartoons, drawn by the nutcases over at Studio GAINAX. Mind you, these are the same people that made Evangelion and Gurren Lagann. Every aspect of Western cartoons was parodied to seemingly no end. A lot of the humor was relatively character-driven, yet still fresh after the first 4 or 5 episodes. Orgasm of a soundtrack, too.



That's my top 5 of 2010. What's yours? Leave a comment to tell me!

1 comment:

  1. 5. Fairy Tail
    4. High School Of The Dead
    3. Bakuman (started in 2010)
    2. Durarara!!
    1. FMA BH (which started in 2009, but most of it was in 2010)

    ReplyDelete