Friday, December 23, 2011

12 Days of Anime: #3: Let's Make A Deal

As a broke otaku AND a broke college student, finding good deals on anime and manga is a must.  RightStuf.com usually has awesome sales, but if I'm going to a brick-and-mortar shop like Hastings, where such sales are less frequent, I often resort to the clearance bin for good deals.

The clearance bin is a great way to not only find out-of-print DVDs and manga, but often find them for insanely low prices.  And for someone with very limited income, like myself, this is huge.  Finding a volume of a popular series like Chobits for under $3, for example, is one such bargain available in the clearance section.  Another one is finding DVDs of UFO Princess Valkyrie and All-Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku for $5 total.  Sometimes, there's an upside to a distributor going under.

RightStuf.com is great, because it effectively cuts out the middleman, and ships the stuff directly to me.  The regular prices are lower than I'd find somewhere like Hastings, and shipping is incredibly affordable.  The best part comes when they have sales on certain distributors.  I've saved a lot of money shopping at RightStuf, and gotten a good number of hard-to-find manga and toys from them.

Raiding the clearance bin or aisle is a great way to save money, especially in a hobby where the merch can get rather pricey.  $1-$8 a pop for manga, and shipping as low as $5.  Can't really beat that, honestly.  Being otaku OR college student might be suffering. I happen to be both, and it is suffering.  Finding bargains helps me support the American anime industry without murdering my bank account.  I'm bi-winning, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment