Sunday, December 18, 2011

12 Days of Anime: #8: Shaken Earth

This next topic is related to anime, and at the same time, it isn't. In mid-March, a very large earthquake struck Japan, throwing the whole country into turmoil. The timing of the disaster wasn't that great, either.


When the earthquake hit, the anime series Puella Magi Madoka Magica had hit its climax plotwise, and everyone was waiting for the next episode to see what would happen. The earthquake delayed the series' epic finale by 2 or 3 weeks.

I was on a vacation in Phoenix, Arizona at the time, and I had just woken up and turned on the news. Once I saw that an earthquake had hit Japan, I switched the hotel room TV to NHK World. The TV stayed on that channel all day, and I rarely left the hotel room

Over the next few months, I consistently made donations to both Red Cross International and, through J-List, Red Cross Japan. Even though it was thousands of miles away from me, I did whatever I could to help a crippled nation.

One thing I've learned in life is that sh*t happens, and that was entirely true on March 11, 2011. Thankfully, Japan rebounded well, and is running just as well as before. But for 3 months, many countries united as one.

No comments:

Post a Comment