Monday, February 6, 2012

First Impressions: Smile Precure

As I've mentioned before, it's no secret that I'm a diehard magical girl fan. And Pretty Cure, or Precure for short, is one of the best-known magical girl franchises out there.  The eighth series, Suite PreCure, recently concluded, and in its place is a new series, Smile Precure.  Naturally, there's a high standard, both as a Precure series, and from me as a magical girl fan.

The Books, the latest film from Alfred Hitchcock's ghost.

Miyuki Hoshizora is a transfer student into a new school.  Naturally, she's late on her first day.  Suddenly, a book comes flying down, and out pops this series' mascot, Candy, who a lamb... thing.  This is just a passing meeting, as Miyuki continues on to school, where she introduces herself, and the other girls, who I'm guessing will be the other Cures, are name-dropped.  Later on, after school, Miyuki is walking home when she sees Candy yet again.  This is the beginning of Miyuki's adventure as Cure Happy.

I must admit, after the disappointment that I got from Suite Precure, I'm a little skeptical about Smile Precure. However, I was very pleased with how this first episode played out.  The pacing was balanced, and the characters aren't annoying little sh*ts, like the two Precures in Smile's predecessor were.  On the other hand, Smile does everything by the book, and nothing terribly new was brought to the table in the first episode.

Overall, Smile Precure produced a quality first episode.  It did most everything right, although I'd like to see it set itself apart from other magical girl shows by doing something unique.  I will definitely keep watching this, but I simply don't have the time or drive to review this show every week for a whole year.  I highly suggest trying this series out if you have the time and can tolerate the bright colors.


Smile Precure! 1

Character Design: 3.5/5
Plot Advancement: 4.5/5
Bright Colors: 4/5
Writing: 3/5
Henshin Sequence: 5/5

Overall: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment