Monday, December 13, 2010

Review: Shinryaku! Ika Musume 12 + overall thoughts


To be honest, when I started watching Ika Musume, I heard a catchy OP. But I looked at the premise of the show, and immediately thought "Crap, this is gonna be another bland moe show." Boy, was I ever wrong. This show exceeded my expectations by several miles.

The final episode sees Ika doing 3 things, the first of which is entering a beach volleyball tournament. She wanted the shrimp to pop out of the screen, to be fair. Naturally, Ika's squid nature makes things anything but fair. The second part involved Ika not being able to move her tentacles. Shock therapy is needed. Who you gonna call? No, not the Ghostbusters. Sanae, of course! Buut it doesn't work. Ika's solution? Retreat to the sea for the time being. The third part is really just a continuation of the second part. Ika has not returned from the sea, and everyone is starting to worry. Suddenly... we find ourselves back at the opening scene of episode 1, except for a small difference... But in the end, everything went back to normal, as Ika got her squid abilities back.

As always, the comedy felt fresh, and the entire supporting cast was involved, which I greatly appreciated. And when I say "entire", I mean it. Literally all the characters were involved in the entire episode, included the creepy MIT grads. And, of course, the over-the-top finale to the final match was awesome. I felt my heartstrings being tugged at towards the end of the episode, but it was still pretty funny.

Being a gag show, I honestly felt that Ika Musume's comedy would run dry within 5 episodes. It had its issues at first, but it quickly addressed them. The comedy constantly changed, and, as a result, was incredibly fresh. After the first four episodes, the supporting cast was integrated a lot more. All in all, this was an excellent show.


Episode 12:

Plot Advancement/Ending: 4/5
Comedy: 3/5
Characters: 4.5/5
Episode Plot: 5/5

Episode 12 Overall: 4/5


Series Overall:

Plot: 3.5/5
Comedy: 4.5/5
Characters: 3.5/5
Pacing: 4/5

Series Overall: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment